Thursday, April 30, 2009

Wow can this year suck any more?!?

2009 isn't even half over and the disappointments and frustrations keep piling on. Yesterday in class my professor (who is also the MAT director) let me know she had received a letter from the Office of Graduate Student Services (OGS), a letter I had not received myself basically stating that I wouldn't be graduating due to the "incomplete" still on my record from Fall and some question about my workshop credits I took. So, I went to the office this afternoon to talk to the woman in charge of this. Of course it's none other than the same woman who was "so offended" by my e-mails at the beginning of the Fall semester because I was basically talking to her as a peer, which is apparently a crime in academia. Talking to her was useless: I'm not graduating, and it's all my fault because my advisor didn't get the grade changed and didn't amend my academic planning form to include the two workshops I took to fulfill the graduate credit levels. So, it's not that I didn't meet actual requirements, it's that certain paperwork was never filled out or changed. And of course, I am not notified of this until after it's too late to do anything about it other than the initial letter way back in February. Obviously I didn't fully understand all that needed to be done so I could graduate as far as changing my academic plan or I would've done it.

Obviously several things bothered me, the first of which was how I was treated. It was not the "I'm really sorry about this" or "let's make sure everything gets settled" or even "I'm here to help" type of attitudes, but more of the "you're a complete idiot" attitude and "I have better things to do than to discuss it with you." There was no sympathy for anything; no thought about how this affects me; nothing. I was a lowly subject in her fiefdom. I hope one day I get the opportunity to tell her what I really think about her. The other thing that bothers me is the whole absence of humanity. This could all be solved by a few simple key strokes. I would be getting the degree I earned and could move on with my life. But no, because some arbitrary deadline passed and the person who was supposed to take care of it didn't, I have to postpone any plans I had as far as graduation goes until August. What does it hurt her to just say, "OK, you got the credits you needed so let's just change the form and all we need is your professor to get her butt in gear and get that grade changed." No, since the official changes are after a random day, I have to wait until August. It would be one thing if I were missing a class or short on credits, but I'm not. I have done and passed everything I was asked to do, but now some simple paperwork is missing that I obviously didn't know about and I'm the idiot since I'm not an expert on how to finish the MAT program. I'm SOOO glad I didn't spend money on announcements and getting a party together. I did buy the robe and hood because I was going to walk, but now walking in August doesn't really excite me all that much. I think it's because I wanted to graduate with my friends who were also in the program and now I can't. Kind of ruins the moment. It technically shouldn't stop me from getting a job, but still I just want to be done with this already. I'm tired of school and more tired of all the politics and idiots I have to deal with on a daily basis.

So yeah, I came home and seriously wanted to break something, but didn't. I was soooooo mad, but ended up breaking down. This is all coming at the worst possible time. Losing the house, having to move, getting everything done with school, and now one of the lone bright spots I was looking forward to is taken away from me and at the very least put on hold. I hope the people that caused this to me one day get to see what they did and actually understand the immense amount of sadness, frustration, and anguish they caused all in the name of deadlines and power.

I have already e-mailed the director of the School of Music- the only person who seems to actually be supportive- and talked to the director of the MAT (she was the one that said it wouldn't affect my job search). The director of the School of Music is going to meet with my advisor I think tomorrow and see what happened. Of course nothing will happen to anyone except me. I mean, heck, since I was two days late in realizing I had neglected to turn in an assignment that's what caused the whole incomplete thing in the first place! So, if I'm late it costs me and if someone else is late it costs me too! Seriously, this whole experience has been botched from day one. I should've known being the first person in 10 years to go through the MAT from music would be this bad, but no, I had faith they knew what to do. Nope, not even close. The scary thing is things could've been even WORSE if I hadn't said things along the way (like with my supervising teacher!). I've really enjoyed my graduate classes, my graduate professors, and my classmates, but this will definitely leave a sour taste in my mouth. If I'm ever in the position to donate money to KSU, it certainly won't be to the College of Education OR the School of Music. The only department I have dealt with regularly that hasn't royally screwed me over is the athletic department! Seriously!

The lone benefit of this is that I will be able to attend my sister-in-law's graduation, which is the day before when mine would've been. She is graduating from medical school in Maryland, which I think is most impressive and awesome. Getting a master's degree is cool for me (I'm the first of my siblings to get one though was the last to get my bachelor's), but graduating from medical school is way higher on the hierarchy of accomplishments in my humble opinion. PLUS I get to see Andy, Heather, and Heather's family again! Doube bonus! =)

1 comment:

Julie said...

We are praying this all gets resolved quickly.